Skip to main content

Storage

I wrote this last night and it is what has spurred on my desire to start a blog. I hope you like it.
Just before 212 began I noticed something during part of my weekly drive.  A new building was going up along the road.  I continued to look each week as I drove by wondering what the building would become.  Until one day I found out; a storage facility. I was so disappointed, of all the possibilities, really, that’s what someone decided needed to be built! So I continue to pass the future storage units and now I have noticed they are everywhere!  I feel like I can’t go a mile or two without seeing one and I can even think of a few places where other new storage facilities have recently been built.  So I did some research. According to the Self Storage Association there are almost 46,500 storage facilities in the USA. The storage business brings $20+ billion in annual revenue to the USA. 
I, personally, don’t have a storage unit I pay monthly to use.  But if you walked into the third bedroom of my home you would think I was renting one out. Over the past year things have just begun to accumulate. All things that I feel I need for some reason or another. I had a friend once tell me that if you don’t touch something in each of the rooms in your house daily then it’s wasted space.  During 212 I began to realize all the things were just wasting space in that room. I had even moved my sewing projects to another room for lack of space in my now storage room.  Over the last few months the room had become so bad I just closed the door.
The saddest part is that this room isn’t just a room. It’s a concrete representation of the constant disorganization in my life, in numerous areas.  I am constantly feeling like I’m playing catch up, having dreams I’m late, I can’t get where I need to be, etc..  All the while, convincing myself that I’ll get caught up. Then I heard some encouraging words – we weren’t meant to handle things alone. God wants us to rely on Him, for everything. There are NO exclusions.
So, I’ve begun the clean up. And man, it’s not pretty, especially when I try to revert to doing it alone again. But when I think about how my relying on God can make way for some radically generous changes it’s exciting.
Phillipians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaper Bouquet

  Last spring I was invited to a baby shower and was so excited to finally be able to have a chance to make this! I had found a picture, on Pinterest most likely, but there were no instructions on how to make it. So I figured I'd give it a whirl! Here's how I did it.   You'll need: A wide mouth vase Gifts to go inside Tulle (from a roll) Cylinder shaped styrofoam Diapers Lollipop sticks Ribbon   First, I went to the store and found a large mouth vase and the goodies I wanted to fill it with. A little tip on what goodies you pick: try to get things that are the same height or a few that can be stacked to have a flat top. Mine didn't so I rolled up a rectangle piece of heavy cardstock and put it on top of the box to make it level. Also, try not leave a good amount of space (2-3") for the styrofoam base of the bouquet.   To make the flower part of the bouquet I cut the lollipop sticks into a few different shorter lengths. I rolled the di

100th Day of School

It happened, my sweet 5 year old has been in school 100 days. It seems impossible! So, before I start gushing over where time went and how it happened so fast, I will gather my self and tell you what we planned for the 100th day of school.  If you haven't had a kiddo involved in the 100th day of school they are asked to bring in 100 of something. It can be anything, as long as it fits in their book bag. Derek's first choice was pennies. He continually told me that he wanted to do pennies despite my futile attempts to convince him otherwise. However, by day 97 I had begun to plant the seeds of "Are you sure that's what you want to take?" and "I'm afraid everyone else will have the same thing." and my personal favorite "How about we put 100 stickers on your clothes?"  All I can say is thank goodness he didn't pick the stickers, we would have been very late to school!  So on day 97, we were getting ready to leave Gramma's house when D

Easy DIY Laundry Detergent

Recently, I decided to jump on the band wagon and make my own laundry detergent. I did this for two reasons. One; I was really tired of the liquid detergent I'd been using and the price it cost. Two; I had a wholesale club sized box of Oxi Clean sitting around that never got used and was an ingredient in the 'recipe' I found.  I also knew that if I made my own detergent I really didn't want to cook and do the liquid route. So I found this posting with a recipe for dry, powder detergent that seemed very doable. I changed the recipe a little because I couldn't find Zote bars, but I found Fels Naptha bars, which are actually smaller than Zote, so I had to accommodate for that.   So, I've been using it now for a month or so and I love it! I found all the ingredients in the laundry aisle at Walmart. It was all near each other, but low on the shelves and most of the time, all the way in the back of the shelf. Here's the recipe that I used, adapted from th