Skip to main content

Sequins and Rain

A while back, I put on a cute new shirt I received as a gift. I had to laugh because, this pretty shirt, with a large branch of sequins covering most of the shirt, only came with one little replacement sequin in the baggy attached to the tag. One, that's it! For the whole shirt!! That seemed so crazy to me that they wouldn't even give you two!

A few days later in my small group we watched a video. The video we watched talked about rain and the times of our life that are like rain. Not just the pretty rain that ends with a lovely rainbow, but the rain that pounds down, changes your plans and just plain makes you wish rain didn't exist.

That type of rain can be seen in many of our lives, at any given moment. You know those types of times. The times when you feel all alone, you just want to give in, you just want to quit or you need a break.

The video painted a picture, that for me, as a parent, was easy to understand. If one of my sons fall and hurt himself, has a bad day at school or any other multitude of things that could happen to a 4 or 6 yr old, I want to sweep them up, save the day and fix everything. But I don't always do that. Why?

 Because to do so would forever change what they would and can become.

Wow.

I don't know about you, but thinking about life that way kind of makes me mad. I don't want to have to go through all that stuff! I don't want to think about the fact that I have to stick out the stupid, hard, ugly stuff to get to the beautiful stuff. 

So, then I think about that one measly sequin. Really? Just one? And I think about how the reality is that I have been given the whole bunch of sequins on the shirt. They are all there ready to be enjoyed. If I were to look at what I didn't have, I'd be missing out of the beauty of what I do have.

Even better, I wore that shirt and reality happened... My cat cuddled up to me and then got startled, jumped and snagged my sequin shirt. And you guessed it, not only did one sequin rip off, but two ripped off. So amidst the beauty; the ugly, the rain. Yeah, I know it's a shirt, I know. But the point is I still want to wear it! So, I don't just give up because of one little thing. I'll wear the shirt again. Why is that?
Well I guess it's because I know... I know that rain happens. But it's not all that happens.

And to avoid it would forever change the person I could be.

 

'Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.'  James 1:2-4 (MSG)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY Laundry Detergent

Recently, I decided to jump on the band wagon and make my own laundry detergent. I did this for two reasons. One; I was really tired of the liquid detergent I'd been using and the price it cost. Two; I had a wholesale club sized box of Oxi Clean sitting around that never got used and was an ingredient in the 'recipe' I found.  I also knew that if I made my own detergent I really didn't want to cook and do the liquid route. So I found this posting with a recipe for dry, powder detergent that seemed very doable. I changed the recipe a little because I couldn't find Zote bars, but I found Fels Naptha bars, which are actually smaller than Zote, so I had to accommodate for that.   So, I've been using it now for a month or so and I love it! I found all the ingredients in the laundry aisle at Walmart. It was all near each other, but low on the shelves and most of the time, all the way in the back of the shelf. Here's the recipe that I used, adapted from th

100th Day of School

It happened, my sweet 5 year old has been in school 100 days. It seems impossible! So, before I start gushing over where time went and how it happened so fast, I will gather my self and tell you what we planned for the 100th day of school.  If you haven't had a kiddo involved in the 100th day of school they are asked to bring in 100 of something. It can be anything, as long as it fits in their book bag. Derek's first choice was pennies. He continually told me that he wanted to do pennies despite my futile attempts to convince him otherwise. However, by day 97 I had begun to plant the seeds of "Are you sure that's what you want to take?" and "I'm afraid everyone else will have the same thing." and my personal favorite "How about we put 100 stickers on your clothes?"  All I can say is thank goodness he didn't pick the stickers, we would have been very late to school!  So on day 97, we were getting ready to leave Gramma's house when D

Diaper Bouquet

  Last spring I was invited to a baby shower and was so excited to finally be able to have a chance to make this! I had found a picture, on Pinterest most likely, but there were no instructions on how to make it. So I figured I'd give it a whirl! Here's how I did it.   You'll need: A wide mouth vase Gifts to go inside Tulle (from a roll) Cylinder shaped styrofoam Diapers Lollipop sticks Ribbon   First, I went to the store and found a large mouth vase and the goodies I wanted to fill it with. A little tip on what goodies you pick: try to get things that are the same height or a few that can be stacked to have a flat top. Mine didn't so I rolled up a rectangle piece of heavy cardstock and put it on top of the box to make it level. Also, try not leave a good amount of space (2-3") for the styrofoam base of the bouquet.   To make the flower part of the bouquet I cut the lollipop sticks into a few different shorter lengths. I rolled the di