Skip to main content

Bravo Zulu


Years ago I worked for a very nice summer day camp. During camp we would have morning meetings and review important details for the day. At every meeting there were comment cards that were read. Parents or coworkers could anonymously fill one out and submit it for a camp employee. When an employee received 3 of these cards they would receive a special pin called a Bravo Zulu. The Bravo Zulu symbolized a job well done. They were put on your name tag and everyone saw it. I worked very hard my first summer and always hoped for a Bravo Zulu, but didn't get one.

Not receiving the coveted Bravo Zulu that summer always bothered me. Recently it made me think of the story of the prodigal son. I always heard messages about that story but didn't get them. All I could hear was the brother of the prodigal son did all that hard work, made the right choices and didn't get one Bravo Zulu. I always felt like he got jipped, he got shafted. No parties for him, no celebration because he made the right choices. What the heck? (sorry but that's how I'd always felt).
I mean, all we hear about is how God loves us and wants us to make the right choices and here is a person that does it all his life and gets no recognition. How does that make sense, how can that really be what God would do? 

I never asked any one about it, I never explored it, because I think God needed me to see it to understand....

See a little over 4 years ago my husband and I decided to go to a different church. This church was so different than anything I had every experienced. I really liked it, but there were still so many things I wasn't sure about. For one, this was a much larger church than I had every experienced and I just wondered if people that went there could really be committed to God. Then I heard the stories about peoples lives being forever changed, being freed from their pasts, renewed and really, truly changed. It was amazing to hear the stories.

Suddenly it hit me, I was that other son, the jealous brother. But more importantly, these wonderful people who had just begun their life with God were the prodigal son and I was learning from them. I began to realize that the whole point of the story is that everyone's journey to God is different. It doesn't matter when we get there, it just matters that we make it. He just wants us. That's it. We don't need to spend our time comparing ourselves to others, worrying about what we have or have not done. If we waste our time doing that, there will always be someone that is better (or worse), more experienced, more knowledgeable, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying stop working hard, stop learning, stop trying to be better at your job, etc.  But I can tell you this; I did end up getting a Bravo Zulu in the next year. But it doesn't mean anything now. And when I worked a different job the following summer there was relief. Finally, I didn't have to feel like I was doing things to be noticed. I wasn't thinking the whole time 'oh, maybe I'll volunteer to do that, so someone will take note.'  There's freedom in that, freedom to be me. And that my friends, is what God created me to be, me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY Laundry Detergent

Recently, I decided to jump on the band wagon and make my own laundry detergent. I did this for two reasons. One; I was really tired of the liquid detergent I'd been using and the price it cost. Two; I had a wholesale club sized box of Oxi Clean sitting around that never got used and was an ingredient in the 'recipe' I found.  I also knew that if I made my own detergent I really didn't want to cook and do the liquid route. So I found this posting with a recipe for dry, powder detergent that seemed very doable. I changed the recipe a little because I couldn't find Zote bars, but I found Fels Naptha bars, which are actually smaller than Zote, so I had to accommodate for that.   So, I've been using it now for a month or so and I love it! I found all the ingredients in the laundry aisle at Walmart. It was all near each other, but low on the shelves and most of the time, all the way in the back of the shelf. Here's the recipe that I used, adapted from th

100th Day of School

It happened, my sweet 5 year old has been in school 100 days. It seems impossible! So, before I start gushing over where time went and how it happened so fast, I will gather my self and tell you what we planned for the 100th day of school.  If you haven't had a kiddo involved in the 100th day of school they are asked to bring in 100 of something. It can be anything, as long as it fits in their book bag. Derek's first choice was pennies. He continually told me that he wanted to do pennies despite my futile attempts to convince him otherwise. However, by day 97 I had begun to plant the seeds of "Are you sure that's what you want to take?" and "I'm afraid everyone else will have the same thing." and my personal favorite "How about we put 100 stickers on your clothes?"  All I can say is thank goodness he didn't pick the stickers, we would have been very late to school!  So on day 97, we were getting ready to leave Gramma's house when D

Diaper Bouquet

  Last spring I was invited to a baby shower and was so excited to finally be able to have a chance to make this! I had found a picture, on Pinterest most likely, but there were no instructions on how to make it. So I figured I'd give it a whirl! Here's how I did it.   You'll need: A wide mouth vase Gifts to go inside Tulle (from a roll) Cylinder shaped styrofoam Diapers Lollipop sticks Ribbon   First, I went to the store and found a large mouth vase and the goodies I wanted to fill it with. A little tip on what goodies you pick: try to get things that are the same height or a few that can be stacked to have a flat top. Mine didn't so I rolled up a rectangle piece of heavy cardstock and put it on top of the box to make it level. Also, try not leave a good amount of space (2-3") for the styrofoam base of the bouquet.   To make the flower part of the bouquet I cut the lollipop sticks into a few different shorter lengths. I rolled the di