Skip to main content

I Know, But....

You ever get that feeling that, in the middle of stating your case, you are totally wrong?  But, for some silly (or just plain stupid) reason you continue to dig your heels in and state your case?  I can remember a few times where I could distinctly hear in the back of my head; 'Kari, chill out, it's not a big deal'

I heard a story Jonah recently. You know, he was stuck in the belly of a whale for three days, then the whale spat him out, etc. And if your like me you instantly have some vision of the Veggie Tales movie or some version of the story in a children's Bible. I instantly see a sign for the boat Jonah gets on and it says 'Not Nineveh.' It makes me laugh.

Anyway, I can relate to Jonah, cause sometimes I just want to run from what I know God is telling me. Either it's too hard or I'm too lazy, or a myriad of other reasons. But the thing that surprised me was the rest of the story.

Yep, that's right there's more. See, not only does Jonah try to avoid going to Nineveh, but he gets upset when God forgives the people and doesn't destroy them. Jonah 4 says that he went up on a hill to watch, then he gets hot and God makes shade for him with a plant. The next day God sends a worm to eat the root of the plant and it dies.  So, Jonah is hot again and tells God he'd be better off dead. He gets so upset and tells God that he knew he should've have never gone to Nineveh because he knew God would just forgive them anyway.

Here's the thing, the whole town repented! It's like Jonah forgets that he was in the belly of the whale and that he went through all of that and God still wants him to go to Nineveh. Somehow he misses his own redemption. He's so focused on what he wants he misses out on the beautiful thing that happens.

So, I wonder if in the back of Jonah's head he could hear God prompting him "Jonah, chill out! Can't you see the bigger picture?" But for the sake of pride, Jonah had to complain about the plant being gone and the people being saved and then concludes he's better off dead.
I don't know if that's what Jonah was thinking and I don't know what happened to Jonah after this story but it compels me. It compels me to think of the bigger picture.

See, recently I had to take a personality profile and man was it rough. All I could see were the negatives, the parts of me that I try so hard to hide or ignore.  Not only do I have flaws (and man are they ugly) but so does everyone else. But here's the important part: I also have some great strengths. Strengths that God desires to use to build His kingdom. Strengths that God gave me, along with the weaknesses. I struggled to understand why I can't be gifted in the way that I desire to be. And took a while to realize that God gifted me to be the way He desired me to be. PERIOD! Flaws and all.


The awesome part about believing that God is the one that blessed me with these weaknesses and strengths, is that God is in the job of redeeming things. Just like he did with Nineveh. They realized they were wrong, they repented and turned towards God and He welcomed them back!
So I need to do the same. I need to realize that despite my weaknesses, my strengths, my mistakes, my opinions and a myriad of other things God loves me. He really loves me. In fact, He really loves you. And that is the bigger picture.

"Your love never fails, never gives up, never runs out on me...and on and on and on and on it goes, yes it overwhelms and satisfies my soul. And I'll never, ever have to be afraid, cause this one thing remains!'.   Kristian Stanfill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaper Bouquet

  Last spring I was invited to a baby shower and was so excited to finally be able to have a chance to make this! I had found a picture, on Pinterest most likely, but there were no instructions on how to make it. So I figured I'd give it a whirl! Here's how I did it.   You'll need: A wide mouth vase Gifts to go inside Tulle (from a roll) Cylinder shaped styrofoam Diapers Lollipop sticks Ribbon   First, I went to the store and found a large mouth vase and the goodies I wanted to fill it with. A little tip on what goodies you pick: try to get things that are the same height or a few that can be stacked to have a flat top. Mine didn't so I rolled up a rectangle piece of heavy cardstock and put it on top of the box to make it level. Also, try not leave a good amount of space (2-3") for the styrofoam base of the bouquet.   To make the flower part of the bouquet I cut the lollipop sticks into a few different shorter lengths. I rolled the di

100th Day of School

It happened, my sweet 5 year old has been in school 100 days. It seems impossible! So, before I start gushing over where time went and how it happened so fast, I will gather my self and tell you what we planned for the 100th day of school.  If you haven't had a kiddo involved in the 100th day of school they are asked to bring in 100 of something. It can be anything, as long as it fits in their book bag. Derek's first choice was pennies. He continually told me that he wanted to do pennies despite my futile attempts to convince him otherwise. However, by day 97 I had begun to plant the seeds of "Are you sure that's what you want to take?" and "I'm afraid everyone else will have the same thing." and my personal favorite "How about we put 100 stickers on your clothes?"  All I can say is thank goodness he didn't pick the stickers, we would have been very late to school!  So on day 97, we were getting ready to leave Gramma's house when D

Easy DIY Laundry Detergent

Recently, I decided to jump on the band wagon and make my own laundry detergent. I did this for two reasons. One; I was really tired of the liquid detergent I'd been using and the price it cost. Two; I had a wholesale club sized box of Oxi Clean sitting around that never got used and was an ingredient in the 'recipe' I found.  I also knew that if I made my own detergent I really didn't want to cook and do the liquid route. So I found this posting with a recipe for dry, powder detergent that seemed very doable. I changed the recipe a little because I couldn't find Zote bars, but I found Fels Naptha bars, which are actually smaller than Zote, so I had to accommodate for that.   So, I've been using it now for a month or so and I love it! I found all the ingredients in the laundry aisle at Walmart. It was all near each other, but low on the shelves and most of the time, all the way in the back of the shelf. Here's the recipe that I used, adapted from th